Plastic lenses, or CR-39, was developed for use in the late 1950’s and rapidly gained popularity in the 1960’s. Plastic is a much lighter material than it’s predecessor the glass lens, but with almost the same amount of clarity. The material is however much softer and scratches far easier than other lens materials. Plastic is not recommended for everyone, for example, children under the age of 18 should not be prescribed a plastic lens for safety reasons.
As with any lens material there are pros and cons to all of them, and you must try to strike a balance between them both to find what will work best for you.
Advantages of plastic lens material:
- Great for people on a budget. Plastic lenses tend to be less expensive.
- Great material for smaller prescriptions. Prescriptions up to +/- 2.50.
- Holds tint well. Ideal for hand-dipped tinting to make a sunglass if you do not want to have a polarized sunglass lens. Best material for darker tint color.
- Plastic clarity is as close to glass as it can get without being glass.
- Can be used for inexpensive backup glasses to have on hand, or that pair of blue light glasses you only use at the computer.
Disadvantages of plastic lens material:
- Plastic is a softer material and brittle. Not recommended for wearing if you are active. Easier to scratch.
- Lenses tend to be thicker.
- Not recommended for children under the age of 18.
- Can’t be used for drill mount or wrap frames.
Take a look at options available on most lenses
Most selected option
Anti-Reflective (AR) Coating blocks reflections and glare. Think of the car headlamps behind you, or when you're looking at a computer screen. The glare and reflection will vanish!
darkens in sunlight
Photochromatic lenses often referred to as "transitions" change from clear to dark when it comes in contact with sunlight (or any UV light source).
tints aren't just for fashion
Blue, Yellow, Pink, Oh My! Lenses can come in a variety of fashion tints. While they are not a replacement for polarized lenses, tinted lenses can have their own benefits, depending on your color choice!
no need to reapply
anti fog lenses
Tired of having your glasses fog up every time you wear a mask? How about when you go from inside to outside in the summer and your lenses have to be cleaned! Our proprietary Anti-Fog treatment will keep your glasses free of fog!