Polycarbonate Lens Material
Polycarbonate material gained notoriety in 1962 when it was used as the clear shield for the “bubble helmet” used by the astronauts. The material was both clear and durable!
In the 1980’s they found the material made a great optical lens as well. It is far more durable than the glass or plastic lens. Children under the age of 18 are typically prescribed a polycarbonate lens because they are active, and the lens are not prone to shattering on impact like the glass and plastic material will.
Polycarbonate has grown to be the most popular material used today!
As with all lenses there are pros and cons associated with each choice, and each individual needs to consider which will work best for their lifestyle and budget.
Advantages of Polycarbonate lens material:
- Durability! If you have an active lifestyle, play sports, are prone to dropping or scratching your glasses these might work well for you. Much safer than glass or plastic. Highly impact resistant.
- Good for children under 18 years of age.
- Tend to be thinner and weigh less than a plastic or glass material.
- Can be used for drill mount, semi-rimless or wrap frames.
- Comes with built in UV protection.
Disadvantages of Polycarbonate lens material:
- Lower clarity than glass or plastic.
- More expensive than glass or plastic lens.
- Will not absorb tint as dark as plastic.
Take a look at options available on most lenses
Most selected option
Anti-Reflective (AR) Coating blocks reflections and glare. Think of the car headlamps behind you, or when you're looking at a computer screen. The glare and reflection will vanish!
darkens in sunlight
Photochromatic lenses often referred to as "transitions" change from clear to dark when it comes in contact with sunlight (or any UV light source).
tints aren't just for fashion
Blue, Yellow, Pink, Oh My! Lenses can come in a variety of fashion tints. While they are not a replacement for polarized lenses, tinted lenses can have their own benefits, depending on your color choice!
no need to reapply
anti fog lenses
Tired of having your glasses fog up every time you wear a mask? How about when you go from inside to outside in the summer and your lenses have to be cleaned! Our proprietary Anti-Fog treatment will keep your glasses free of fog!